Entertaining speaker for education sector events…
Scammers love the education sector. Infected flash drives, stolen laptops, dumped documents, pilfered passwords…whatever the method, educational institutions across the country are experiencing data breaches at an alarming rate and identity theft is the fastest growing crime in America.
- Educational institutions account for a third of all data breach incidents in the U.S.
- Children are 51 times more likely to be the victims of identity theft than adults.
- Since 2008, higher education institutions have experienced data breaches resulting in over 2.3 million reported records compromised.
- Over half of all U.S. organizations experienced two or more breaches last year. Ninety percent had at least one breach.
- Average cost of a data breach: $194 per compromised record and $5.5 million per data breach event.
- Negligence is still the leading cause of data breaches at 41 percent.
You can wrap your valuable data in sophisticated network firewalls and monitoring systems, but criminals find and exploit the weakest link—us. The truth is that human error and negligence are responsible for most data breaches. The good news is that a little training and a subtle shift in attitude go a long way toward making your members’ organizations secure.
Consider these recent examples:
- The University of Hawaii has settled the largest class action suit ever filed in the state, which will pay out more than half a million dollars to individuals affected by five data breaches over a two-year period.
- The City College of San Francisco discovered computer viruses within its systems that have been in operation for over 12 years. The viruses are transmitting personal information on students, faculty, and staff to criminal networks in Russia, China, and at least eight other countries.
- A North Carolina school system accidentally sent out 5,000 postcards with students’ Social Security numbers printed on the front, a mistake that cost the district nearly $100,000 to remedy.
This important topic is relevant at every level of our educational organizations.
Exciting, entertaining keynote speaker…
During his fascinating presentation, James Munton will fool every person in the room, demonstrating how easy it is for people to be deceived. By presenting a serious topic in a fun, interactive way, James keeps audiences engaged and entertained. At the end of the presentation, audience members will walk away armed with knowledge about how to protect personal information and improve data security in the workplace. They will understand that each of them has an essential role to play in protecting data and ensuring privacy.
Please browse the information in the speaker packet and call 1-888-773-2155 to discuss booking James Munton for your event.